Below is the base recipe for these healthy filling snacks, with plenty of room for creativity and customization! We simply used organic brands of the following ingredients, and most can be found at Good Earth Naturals in Leonardtown where we do a lot of our grocery shopping.
- 4 1/2 cups rolled old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (lots of options for died fruit here)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 325. Oil/coat with non-stick 9x13 square baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all of the ingredients above. hand mixing works best!
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 18-20 minutes or until set and edges are browned.
- Cool completely on a wire rack. Allow to cool for 30 mins or more to ensure they are firm before cutting into bars. (I popped mine in the freezer for 10 minutes too).
mix well, hand mixing works well...
press firmly into baking dish
bake at 325 degrees F for 20 mins
cut into 1" bars
wrap individually for easy storage and grab go snack!