Wednesday, September 10

Is there anything worse for a mom, than seeing your child hurting?

Ok, so I am just going to put it out there as I know many other parents have struggled with these decisions in the past. Obviously, no ones life is all roses and we have agonized over our son's suspected ADHD diagnosis for the past 2 years. We generally rear our children according to the principle of Attachment Parenting (it's kind of old school now) and this is for some people and some it's not. I believe your lifestyle and family choice to be a VERY personal decision. We allow our children to explore their worlds', try not to say "no" in the baby/toddler development stage, but instead re-direct. "We" breastfeed, allow them to co-sleep - eat organically the whole nine yards (for the most part!). So the thought of past teachers recommendation to medicate Jackson makes my heart sink. I have studied this overly diagnosed learning handicap and have tried to be open minded. When (after 3 weeks of school) I recieved the feared phone call at home, that was followed by an all to familiar conversation, I now feel like I have to address this so that my son's beautiful spirit will not continue to be damaged by "recoveries, punishments, and timeouts, harming his self esteem, etc. We have made the appointment with our pediatrician for the phase 1 of the evaluation process as was recommended. What are your thoughts? I am hungry for parent feedback here... He is my first child, so it's hard for me to compare if he is "normal" (i hate that word)

3 comments:

Breton Bay said...

thank you for the insightful email noni - definately adds a fresh perspective when considering the road ahead

Anonymous said...

thanks for your comment! I am mixed about medicating children, on one hand, i think that these little people are just a lot more creative than we (and teachers) give them credit for. Is he being challenged enough at school, or is he getting bored? My cousin suffers from ADHD, hes 9 now and finally lives a somewhat "normal" life...who are we to determine what normal is anyway?!?! Anyhow, all classes were rough until this last year when my aunt (who will NOT medicate him)who had tried all the different vitamins and juices known to man came across a DHA vitamin called Braniums, available through Amway. She tripled his dose (after an okay from the pediatrician) and has seen an extreme turn around. I can actually talk to her on the phone without constant interruptions, he has been able to complete assignments and comes home from school talking about how much he loved his day...all which never happened before the Braniums. Theyre expensive, but how can we put a price tag on our kids? Anyhow, on the other side, we do what it takes to make sure our kids are happy, and able to get through life, if it means helping them chemically with medications when their little bodies are deficient, we say a prayer and hope for the best. Good luck!!

Leslie said...

thank you for the insightful email noni - definately adds a fresh perspective when considering the road ahead

Disqus for The Glam Mom